View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 10:55 AM

Default Did you ever enjoy Tonquin Valley / Amethyst Lake? I'm glad I did...opportunities are now gone.

https://jasperlocal.com/peaks-and-va...Wt0vHG9RqGXk6w

As a teacher, I am constantly preaching to students about connection to nature, wild places, conservation, and preservation. About the importance of science, the collection of data, and protecting fragile ecosystems and species at risk.

So, of course, yet reluctantly and with mixed feelings, I am board with this decision; with the caveat that it is a scientifically sound one. If the wolves are using human tracks (ski and snowmobile) as an advantage to hunt caribou, then, I can see the reason behind the policy. Assume for the moment, the decision is a sound one (and that IS a big assumption when it comes to the history of Parks Canada's policy decisions)

But as the article points out (and, to be sure, it has a slant and a bias) the picture is always more complicated.

Regardless, with extreme reluctance, one has to consider what measures - even drastic ones - are needed to protect wildlife.

And so now, a near 100 year old tradition of horseback riding and outfitting has vanished, likely for good.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you ever go to Tonquin valley? I did once, with my dad. Probably some 20 years ago. Didn't catch many fish, but dad did catch his largest ever rainbow. Wish I had a better pic of it.

I have been planning to return, to see the majestic Ramparts, and fish the clear waters of Amethyst lake for its rainbows and brookies, but alas, like my planned trip into Marvel Lake, I waited to long. Now Marvel is closed, and Amethyst - without the horse outfitters - is now largely unaccessible to me and dad. Oh....don't get me wrong...you'll still be able to hike and book backcountry sites, but that's non-discussion with my 85 year old dad and my bad back. lol. Parks Canada has little thought for ableist policies when wildlife populations are at risk. I get it.

What are your favourite memories of Tonquin Valley?

I'll miss it; and so I am glad I went.

-Smitty