View Single Post
Old 11-08-2022, 02:21 PM

Default My expirence

I have found that it is difficult to look at trapping beaver strictly from an effort to financial reward perspective at the prices we have been seeing when just selling whole or putting the fur up and sending them to auction. I have only been in this trapping game for 6years now but I have been digging into finding ways to make it pay as just sending to auction you have zero control and I have seen pelts go for as little as 50c which is a waste IMO. (October baby beaver)

I've resorted to making mittens out of prime beaver and selling whole tanned pelts. This way I can control the price to what I deem worth my effort. I enjoy being a part of the process and seeing people realize the value of a good pair of fur mitts. I have other plans as time goes on for making hats and also mukluks but want to master one article first. Its a slow process at first but I have been enjoying it and the money side is starting to show. Also adding in catching prime beaver and then finishing the rest come summer for a price from the land owner helps. Its a process, its a grind and its not low effort/high paying. There is much easier ways to make money. Thankfully I have enough interest from people who want mittens and pelts that I am way behind and these people are patient enough to wait.

IMO a price per pelt at auction would need to hit about 50-75CAD average (about 100CAD for good quality prime beaver) for me to consider sending any into auction anymore. Selling them whole Id like to see 40CAD. But I doubt I will have the surplus of good beaver, plus I personally enjoy the process of making something and seeing it go to a good home who will enjoy it.