View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHUNTER88 View Post
Thanks everyone for the information so far. It looks like I am fishing in a tough area, in an already tough river. It doesn’t help that I am green when it comes to fly fishing. Also, I haven’t really spin fished the bow before, is that something I should do?
You haven't said how your fly casting is. And that will matter.
Fly and spin are two different mechanics. In fly you cast the line and in spin you cast the lure. You do not need to know both to be effective.

My recommendation, for a good over all beginners book that is short, easy to read and understand and has illustrations is this one:
https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Second, get off the river and find a small trout pond or even a pond without fish. It is a good way to learn how to cast. Have the book with you.

Once you feel have mastered the casting and can regularly get the line where you need it. Shouldn't take that long by the way. Then do try to catch some fish in a pond. It is a good way to get the feel for everything. Then head back to the river. A river is a different beast. Maybe start with the Red Deer River rather than the Bow. The bow is larger and tougher. Sounds like you will need to travel a bit to find better water on the bow anyways. Watch some videos on UTube for reading a river. It will be helpful as well.