View Single Post
Old 01-12-2023, 07:25 AM

Default Best 3wt. fly rod?

Hey guys-I asked this question in the wrong forum recently, but interested in everyone's take. I don't live in Alberta, but I've fished there plenty of times. I've come to realize how big a factor wind is in that beautiful province, but I have to imaging some of you take light rods into smaller creeks too. I only ever brought a 9', 5wt. 4pc. when fishing out there.

Anyhow, I spent a couple of decades obsessed with fly fishing but in the last 5 years or so, that obsession has been varmint hunting and reloading. Looking to get back into it, but I cleared out everything under 4wt.

I've had at least once really memorable rod, a T&T 8'2" "Horizon" in 2wt. WF3wt. line-that was a very capable rod. I've had more mushy 2/3 wt. rods than anything else, and there aren't many around to go and test drive. Especially nicer ones.

I see myself needing a faster rod, as I want the option of fishing weighted nymphs, possibly small streamers in close. (fished light nymphs in plunge pools, etc.) I once owned a 7'6" 4wt. Sage XP that actually didn't fish as well as I'd hoped. I still use an XP in 9wt. for big pike here.

I've never owned a Redington rod, but the "Vice" model appears to be a fast 3wt. None around I can go and test/feel.

I know it's subjective, but any ideas?