View Single Post
Old 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The fact there were 2 very large brown trout caught within the last 6 months by people who were not even trying to catch them indicates that a brown trout fishery in Edmonton is feasible. Feasibility is not the issue, but the (im)practicality of making it happen is the fundamental stumbling point.

The Red Deer River has a significant population of walleye and pike, yet the brown trout managed to form a stable population. I have caught a brown trout in the NSR at the Clearwater confluence but that was a couple hundred kilometres upstream, where the NSR is still very much a trout habitat.
I would imagine those two were probably mature fish that came down from the upper reaches of the NSR as you described..however any kind of stocking program in this area would be a waste of money, time and energy as the fry would be nothing more than walleye and pike snacks.