View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Id like to place a number on how many yearling rams make it to a certain age but just like you I have no way of actually knowing how many make it.
Sure alot of them yearlings dont make it to 10 but alot dont make it to 2.
The thing is we arent talking here about a yearling making it to 10. We are discussing a 5 1/2 or 6 1/2 year old ram making it to 8. These are years in their prime. Sure not all survive, no one is stating that and the only way anyone can say is if they collard a bunch of 5 1/2 year olds and monitored them.
No one has stated that no younger rams should be shot either just find a way to possibly lower that number. Not just shoot them because they arent gunna make it anyhow.
SG
Accordng to Geist, 97% make it to two years old. It seems mortality really starts to increase between 7 and 10 which is exactly what the bio in the Yukon told me. The same statement you mocked but now seem to be agreeing with.

I know you can't give exact numbers Darcy but in your vast experience in the Rockies of Alberta, can you honestly say that you've seen less that two yearling rams for every 10 year old you saw? It's a pretty simple question that doesn't require the long-winded answers you've been trying to divert attention with above.

I never once said we should shoot them because they were going to die anyhow. I was just offering an explaination why we see more young rams in the mountains than old rams. You've already quoted that statement out of context so I understand your confusion. Put it back in context and tell me I'm wrong.