View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 11:55 PM

Well, I never heard of some exclusive whitefish season in April at Pigeon (what you're implying?) The lake did use to be open to all species fishing during the spring, but again, that was common for many lakes.

Cow lake historically was a pike / perch lake. There are still perch there, from what I've heard. For awhile they did dump brood rainbows as well (too big for pike) but I don't think they do that anymore. But, before there were rainbows, it was pike and perch (I'm talking before the 1950"s).

Actually, a good portion of so-called "pothole" lakes that we count on for rainbow trout fishing weren't - contrary to common belief - "barren" before trout came along. More than a few - Cow and Hasse come to mind - were pike / perch fisheries. My understanding is that the bios in the 50's / 60's / 70's would wait for a severe winter kill and then stock trout. Rotenone was considered as well.

Most "infested" trout lakes are only infested with perch. Few have pike as well. It's not ideal by any stretch, but you can have a fishery with trout and perch. But it's not great by any means...

I agree with you about tags, some flexibility would be a good thing. Bios and CO's could adopt the view of tags per boat instead of per angler when in comes to the on-the-water experience.