View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms View Post
Found this link, thought it would be helpful:
http://www.summitsearch.org/routes/1...ess-lake-trail
Thanks for posting this. I think I can manage the hike with light gear and tackle. The two major points of pain that remain are fording the rivers. As per comments from other posters, the Chaba sounds doable just with a pair of waders. I'm a little more concerned about the Athabasca since there is no longer a bridge. It sounds like fording it without some kind of craft is quite risky.

Then once you reach the lake you need a way to move around on the lake. So again you'll need some kind of light craft. Seems to me either a small raft or float tube is the only thing you'd be able to reasonably carry.

If I do this my plan would be to take a bike. This would let me bring additional cargo but also be a faster way to cover the first 16 or so KMs. I'd have to stash the bike at the Chaba fording and hoof it in the rest of the way and thus would still be limited to bringing only a very light craft since it's still 4 to 6 KMs to the lake from the Chaba fording.

Hiking in with a float tube and flippers might be the only feasible way to access this lake.