Thread: Rod WT?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 07:01 PM

Default Rod Wt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Hey Gang,

I currently have a 7/8 WT rod, and I'm thinking about finding a rod with a lower WT. My schedule has changed a bit as of late, and I'll be able to do more evening fishing trips. I will be hoping to get into some pothole lakes around Edmonton, as I work in the City and live near Onoway.

The 7/8 was a gift as my first fly rod. Would it be worth it to get a lower WT rod? Will it make much of a difference in the fishability of smaller fish? I'd also like to try my hand at Pike fishing with it, and fishing the NSR, so that is where I'm torn. It's either sell the 7/8 to get a lighter rod, or keep the 7/8 and fish with it.

Thanks for your feedback,

Jeff
fallen
Mostly fish rivers and streams with spinning gear but have a 9', 7/8 wt Starsilk rod(20 years old) that I use when the family comes fishing, sometimes 3 to 5 of us, and I follow up downstream with my unit and catch fish from 6" to 20" depends on the stream. Don't use flies much smaller than #10(cant see em). Just read the water and enjoy your gift. Save up and buy a lighter wt rod if you think you need it.

PS. It's all about fooling the fish not the bend in your rod.