View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I’m sure you can add more pins, but for me 3 is lots. Anything more then 1 starts to confuse me

I like to keep sight picture as clean as reasonably possible. That will get you plenty of range for a new shooter, and most experienced shooters too.
Yep, Homesteader has great suggestions as well..... Try setting the pins up for 20-25-30 or 20-30-40. In a hunting situation, "most" new bow hunters will begin to realize their own personal limits and not need a pin beyond that.

While I do have pins from 20 to 80 in 10 yard increments, I've got one specific pin that is colored red (red means STOP, don't shoot!) That pin is my personal limit under hunting conditions. The other pins beyond that is for practicing only as I like to practice beyond my limit, just to be sure that when my adrenaline is pumping while hunting I've still got my mechanisms in place to produce a high quality shot.

The way I look at it, practice twice as far for 1/2 the accuracy. If i manage to practice shooting 8" groups at 80, under real world hunting conditions I can reasonably expect 8" accuracy at 40 (8" is my personal preference, and EVERYTHING else must be otherwise correct)

Some years, I haven't put in the effort for 8" @ 40, and I have limited myself to 35 or 30 yard shots when hunting.... But I digress, this is leading into personal ethics - really didn't mean to go there, wanted to state the pin settings for practice...

J.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk