View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 08:37 AM

2012 Chev 2500 diesel with a 6'6" box. Carried a 8'11" Slumber Queen, older maybe late 80's early 90's model. Not overly heavy like today's campers. Loading and unloading was straight forward but intimidating as the camper had to be jacked up quite high to get over the tailgate
and into the box. As long as you are on flat level ground loading and unloading is good, anything else becomes tricky. Soft ground can be a problem, use plywood pads or boards under the jack feet. It had hydraulic jacks which were fine but slow. Get quality tie downs, pricey but worth it. With a longer camper and a shortbox, you need to make sure the center of gravity is ahead of the rear axle, which mine was by about an inch. I also pulled a 12' flatdeck with a SXS. Handled very well with no issues. Even when I thought I was too heavy. I put airbags on the truck but didn't need them. I did need a hitch 3' extension to get the hitch past the tailgate, no problems. Sold it and now have a giant toy hauler. For 2 people, I'd go back to a truck camper in a flash (but a roomy trailer is nice).
Make sure the camper is taller than the truck cab. I had one that wasn't and had to build a platform for the truck bed to get the clearance over the cab. Big hassle.

Properly set up, truck campers are awesome.