View Single Post
Old 10-28-2017, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I find a rifle that shoots well at 400 yds will work wonderfully at 40 feet. The opposite is not always the case.
Sound logic. I've never found that the extra length of my .270 with its 22"bbl was that much of a hindrance over shorter rifles I've used... But in the last 10 years I can remember killing exactly 3 animals at over 200 yards. On the very rare occasion that a long range shot is presented I am invariably in undergrowth where it is impossible to take a position steady enough to make the shot. Regardless of what rifle you put in my hands, I still don't have any business taking an offhand shot under field conditions at much over 100 yards.

Therefore, while I feel that a couple inches of barrel isn't a big deal, to me a few extra fps matters even less. I think I'm leaning towards a bolt action with a 20" bbl in .308 with a low powered scope. Something at the bushy end of all around.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-28-2017 at 08:46 PM.