Thread: Bear Suckers
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM

Thumbs up suckers

well, heres what I did. I got the recipe off a guy in Alaska and he said it works freat up there.

I used a turkey deep fryer, I place 6 cups of water, 24 cups of sugar and 2 and 1/4 liters of corn syrup.
Started stirring and turned the heat on. Keep stirring until it gets to a good rolling boil, then quit stirring and watch your temp. guage. The water will boil off and the temp will be around 250 degrees, until the water boils off, then the temp will start climbing till it gets over 300 degrees. You have to cook it around 310-325 degrees for several minutes but don't go over 330F. Have a cup of ice cold water handy and dribble some of the liquid into the water. It will harden into strings. Break off a string and bite it. If it is completely brittle and NOT gooey at all, then it is ready. Make sure it is brittle all the way thru. Very important.

Now, have 3-4 boxes of jello dissolved into one and half cups of hot water, making sure it is dissolved thoroughly, start stirring again as you pour this jello water into the pot. There will be a lot of steam as you pour as the heat will be boiling off the water from the jello. Wear gloves! Now dump in some cinnamon powder, maybe a quarter cup. Throw in maybe one half ounce of Anise and one quarter cup of vanilla and keep stirring until it is all mixed and the misture has settled down with no air bubbles. Pour this into your molds and let it cool. Remember to put a short length of chain or eyebolt or whatever it is you expect to use to fasten a cable to, to hang it up. I used 1 litre ice cream buckets as a mould, but a coffee can would be better to protect it a little bit.

I experimented with different flavours, some I used some marishino cherry juice, one I used chocolate pudding powder, one I dumped some marshmallows in. They all turned out well, they basically formed one big hard rock candy that has an excellent scent that will be sure to lure bears in. My dog likes to go in the shop and she licks away at the blocks, she doesn`t try to bite a chunk off, she prefers to slurp on them.

Anyways, thats what I used.
Good luck.