Thread: #1 Boating Rule
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraylingGuy View Post
Rather than a fuel level gauge, it is recommended to instead get a fuel consumption gauge. You can get both if you wish, but if you were to get just one, I would opt for the latter.

Just a thought. Also, it is good practice to employ the 1/3-1/3-1/3 rule, because sometimes half a tank isn't enough to get home.

As for the rest of the thread:
I find May long to be the absolute worst time for dumb-dumbs to be out on the water. Be it the guy with his brand new shiny boat, or the "seasoned" boatsman. Numerous people can't be bothered in the spring to ensure their equipment is in proper working order, BEFORE heading out. We have all seen them out there, plugging up the launches and docks because, "it worked fine last year"... Even something as simple as ensuring the plug is actually with your boat kit. I can't count the amount of times I have given out a spare plug to help a guy out.

At the end of the day, everyone is out there for the same reason. But it only takes one to sour it for everyone else.

Sometimes you have trouble at launch. Every year we hook up the water attachment to the boat water intake, and scare the hell outta the neighbors in the hood with the old Johnson 2 Stroke and I think I'm ready, and then I get to the lake and she don't go for some reason.

Boat edicate? always seem to be missing with some. Like common sense, like don't use the launch to run your boat for 15 minutes because you were too lazy not to do it at home. Don't park in the middle of the launch when its a 2 boat launch. Have your boat ready to go, untarp it, get your giant tube ready while you wait. Be at your vehicle to move up and don't be mad at buddy cause he passed you because you decided to take a leak and you lost your cue in line. Be patient with some dude who has to back up his truck himself, and load the boat himself. Help older ladies into their boat. and my favorite control your kid so he doesn't run behind boats backing up on the launch, this one I don't get period. My kids go straight from the Jeep to the boat, and momma holds there hand the whole way.