View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishing only 902 View Post
yes the get retarded huge and have been caught in the 100 pound range in commercial nets. but the largest one ever landed in canada was on a quebec river in 1939 in quebec and measured 49 3/4 inches and had a girth of 30 1/8 inch.
what river did you catch it in?
Largest documented.

Eastern Woods and Waters had an article (and pics) of a released Atlantic around 1990 that was estimated at 54-56" based on the ribs of the canoe. Weight was also chart estimated at over 100#.

I caught mine about 500 yards from the mouth of the stream where they tended to group in the spring prior to their re-adjustment to salt water.

It took a 'Red Devil' spoon loaded up with night crawlers, with 10# test on spinning gear. There wasn't much left of the old girl and it only took about less than 10 minutes to reel her in. (She was well under 20#s we figured)

There were about 40 people fishing the spot at the time and a Lands and Forests officer stood by my side as I used my rod as a measure and etched a mark into the fiberglass to be measured later. It was illegal to keep Slinks, and she never even came out of the water.

I measured the mark later at 54", but you must allow a +/- 2" margin of error to be fair, no?

Hopefully she survived, but I somehow doubt it given her condition. Either way, a pretty cool catch. I hope this clears thing up and ends the derail.