View Single Post
Old 01-12-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
1) Don't take out the maximum mortgage you can. Life will happen. Rainy days will come. Things will break down. You want to be able to have a few bucks to live.

2) Get an inspection unless it is brand new.

Best of luck!
I have to disagree with the second point. I bought brand new and still had an inspection done. Found a few things wrong with the house and made sure it was fixed before signing. While its nice to get a new house its always good to make sure its up to par before saying yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
First off, congratulations. Being a homeowner is awesome but buying a house was the most stressful thing I've ever done. Things I wish I'd listened to more include:

*Try to stick to your budget, but understand that what is truly expensive is buying alot of homes. If you find one you really love (more on that below) get it, you'll end up buying it at some point.

*Understand what you are and are not buying. A brand new house always looks shinier, but fences, decks, and landscaping add up quick.

*Make an inspection a condition, even if its new. You'd be surprised.

*Don't sign on for just the lowest rates you can with mortgage broker, understand the fine print like double up payments, lump sums etc. Those make a difference sometimes.

*Don't rush - they're making and selling these every day.
I never had a any of those things and I have to agree that they do add up. Could of had a deck added on to the house but it was only going to be a 10x10 and I wanted a deck I could relax on not just something to barely big enough for a table and bbq. Some builders will leave the landscaping up to you and give you a rebate once its complete.