View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 11:54 AM

Ok another little rant....

Back to journey management....

We are an oilfield transportation company that is service oriented...

Customer Calls, We Haul, Customer Pays, Thats it, That's All....

I have to do the song and dance about how we will minimise unnecessary travel, restrict travel in inclement weather, travel in daylight hours etc... yatyatyata.... This is the Alberta Oilpatch....

Then from the same customer who requires me to comply with IsN calls from the lease and needs his stuff RFN and is screaming and hollering at 7:30PM in the middle of a blizzard out in the Tooleys and Skeg... and when our guy gets there after 13 hours of hellish driving... gets ticked off because our guy can't do a backhaul RFN because he is out of hours and has to stay in compliance with HOS rules....

and then our guy has the right to refuse which is another section in ISN and if our guy refuses the company we are working for threatens to call someone else for all their work, and then has the gall to argue the bill because he goit overcharged because the round trip took 2 whole days when he could drive it in 10 hours in his pickup....

At times like these I pull my hair out when I see another requirement is added for us to comply with in RAVS... because some safety b'crat somewhere in an ivory tower thinks we need it....

Or when an oil company calls in all subs in for a mandatory 1/2 day meeting to talk about how gloves are now mandatory on site and hands out expensive kevlar gloves as an example of what they have to do and go over the 7 cardinal rules etc... meanwhile the very next day a guy working for the oil company directly rolls a quad and gets killed because he was not wearing a helmet... yet we never hear about that....

I am a safety professional and I am embarrassed quite often....

I ended up in safety unintentionally...Not by accident as most.... most safety people have a sudden attitude change when they suffer a major injury and because they can't do any other productive work so they become a safety guy... look at how many safety guys have a limp or are missing fingers, or other signs of an injury!.....

It was unintentional... I worked in many industries and often times I would have Safety People come and tell me how to do MY job. For example when framing i wore running shoes when on the roof because with the flexible bottoms vs workboots provided more agility thes reduced the risk of suffering a fall... A safety guy came along and said..what if you shot yourself in the toe with a nailer thus you need steeled toed boots.... I said if I was that F'n stupid what am I doing on the gD roof of a house...

It was unintentional... I was walking a 2nd floor beam measuring it out for the joists when an guy come by on the main floor and asked to talk to me and I told him to wait outside by the property line and I would be there when I was done... he said to stop work and come now... I told him to go f'n do what I told him before he got hurt... he left and shortly thereafter my boss came and introduced me to an OHS officer in plainclothes... I said I thought he was just a member of John Q Public and that for his safety I had advised him to leave the worksite and I would be right there... Today that man is a friend of mine and we chuckle over or meeting....

I found it very frustrating when me as a working foreman who cares about each and every one of my guys and always did my best to see them safe at the end of the day that knew my job well being told by guys without an f'n clue how to do it....

It was untintentional... Finally my boss came to me one day and said all this f'n safety is on my back even though we have not had an incident...and you are good at paperwork and have some schooling would you consider becoming our safety guy...

I said I could eat donuts and drink coffe with the best of them....15 years ago...

Today as a safety professional I still see the stupid safety guys.... The guys who insist my guys wear safety glasses no matter what... even if when spotting when backing up trucks when they are fogging up.... I then turn this around and because I know the law I like to quote the section about how PPE must not itself endanger the worker... There is no appreciable hazard to the eyes... yet a very real hazard of getting caught in a crush point or being backed over by being effectively blinded by a useless piece of gear...

ISN is just a sample of the level of stupidity this leads to to employ a bunch of unproductive morons....

Now let me tell you how I really feel!....

90 percent of safety guys are idiots that could not make it in a revenue producing position, the other 9.99 percent are idiots that lack the ability to organise a pi$$-up in a brewery or lose their viginity in a thai *****house with a fistfull of thousand dollar bills....

the rest are kind of like me....