View Single Post
Old 04-16-2019, 08:09 PM

There used to be lots of small business owner commercial fishermen and then big business started buying licences and controlling catch rate, timing and sales. Patterson group is one of them.

My question is the salmon quota and fishery as stupid a process as halibut wherein the government gave free quotas out to individuals and then most of them stopped fishing and just sold or leased there quota?

On a cost benefit analysis where is the value to the economy? Sport fishing or commercial fishing? Does it make more sense to keep the sport fishing going flat and curtail commercial guys? How impacted are Commercial fishermen?

I think the quota system commercial to sport fishing is rigged in favour of big business padding politicians pockets with stronger lobbying as the sport fishing lobby in Canada is weak...weak...weak compared to the US.

I see commercial is starting late. As runs are genetically distinct over periods of time putting massive pressure at the end will wipe out late running chinooks.

How about stopping all commercial harvest in oceans and rivers?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 04-16-2019 at 08:20 PM.