View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Hounds are too long in the back, too deeply splayed in the chest, and too and not thick enough in the leg for packing.
The worst dogs we have ever seen for sledding or packing display all these traits.
A short back and thick ,short legged dog will outlast a hound style shape every time , speed has NOTHING to do with stamina in the bush - it may be different in the mountain regions , but I doubt it very much.
I used my sled dogs to pack when there was no snow on the trap line and so have 100's of trappers others up here in years gone by.
Working dogs are lower to the ground form the most part and built for pulling, not for speed.
Cat
not my hounds! splayed chest,what does that even mean? a thick short legged dog does not sound like something that could climb mountains or travel very far,carry weight perhaps. i though the best sled dogs were hound crosses? the weight they carry would be less, that isn't a problem, caws their only there for company/protection anyways,right? not to carry a heavy payload?