View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 PM

Some situation don't allow the plugging in thing,,, some hotels and camps have plug ins for the 1 tons down, but not our heavy hual units as they sit in the staging areas,,, Wabascos and Pro Heat are nice on our oil field units,,, none on our gravel division. Those units are rev'ed up.

Once there hot and rev'ed up the moisture is brunt off right away,,, if they are slobbering on idle at night, then it seems that condensation starts to build up but very minimal.
So what about the cold start,,, if it's -20c for the heavier with no pro Heat or Wabasco, gloo plugs,,, its going to be a tuff start. -30c on up means your unit won't be working that day. Out comes the tarps, Herman Nelson for a few hours. All profits lost that day.

1 tons with gloo plugs in "most" cases will hammer up at -20 below,,, the odd units might even come to life in the -30c range. High Arctic in the -45c would be nasty.

It is said that a cold cold start is equal to 500 miles of wear. The extra cold is more like 2000 miles. LOL.

There are no records to go by less common sense.
Take a licken on fast idling or cold start.
Again, depends on money.

Let's say a person has an expensive $10.000 gasoline car that is supposed to last you 5, 7, 10+++ years.
1/3 of its life is cold starts.
The question is,,, how will it fare over all.

Let's say it's a diesel VW, would it last as long as the gas motor unit,,, we'd sure hope so.

Some folks have said this light auto diesels are throw away motors,,, they might be right since the cost of a full rebuild "could" top a $7 to $9 G bill.
If a heavy goes down and 1/2 of it is salvagible, $20 G ish give or take.
If it's worse than that,,, $30 G.
If it's pooched,,, $45 on up the $66 G in Cnd funds. this is with labour.

A few of my friends are on replacement rebuilds in their 1 tons,,, the majority of those projects were all closer to the $20 G bill take or give.

Those that have the Ford twin turbo 6 piston gas will chime in on those costs I'm sure.
Last small bill I seen on 1 of them was $6000 ponys. LOL. Lucky thing he did the work him self.

Yuppers, no right or wrong as it boils down to funds.
My day driver is a frugal asperrated 6 piston 2 wdr 1/2 ton. I couldn't even imagine what one of these motors would cost to rebuild or replace.
I'm guessing a $5 G bill easy.

I hope I don't find out,,, as for the others we have.

It takes along time to recoup these costs.

At base their plugged in, even then we always hope the marbles don't spill out onto the ground.

Fingers crossed.

Don