View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
Yeah I think this one may stretch out for a while. Would be best obviously to get sorted sooner than later, but if he want's to be greedy sit the season out. I hate greedy players.
I actually think there might be some pressure on both sides to get this done before October 3rd. I don't believe the Flames will be able to afford to pay Tkatchuk if he holds out till later in the year. I actually think more pressure might be on Tkatchuk.

Nylander last year his cap hit over the contract is 6.9 million, but since he didn't start until December his cap hit in 2018/2019 was 10.27 Million for last season.

I read an article stating that about Marner too, that if he held out until December the leafs wouldn't be able to get him in under the cap as the hit would be too large for that year, based on how the cap hit would look over a shortened season. Ironically he signed about 24 hours after this article came out.

So as long as this situation applies to all contracts cap hits based on shortened seasons, and where our cap space is currently sitting, if we can't get him under the cap he will have to sit out. Unless he signs an offer sheet. I am not sure holding out for 9 or 10 million/year over 5 years assuming that is 1-2 million higher then where the flames are at. That's 5-10 million which he would lose 7 or 8 million by missing an entire season.

Which could be exactly what Trei is hoping for Tkatchuks camp to fold based on this.