View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Good post. I started my kids off with a single-shot .410 (Cooey) and soon realized that for the amount of recoil a light gun like that delivers...they'd be better-off with a 20ga pump. I bought an "870 Youth" (laminate stock, 21" VR barrel) and never looked back. In fact, many years later...that gun is still a favorite, and even I'm surprised at how often it gets used. Great gun for anybody new to the sport, younger shooters, ladies, etc. I honestly think that if a kid is old enough to be shooting a shotgun, it ought to be at least a 20ga. I base the advice I give friends on that. In other words, if they can't handle a 20ga, they might not be ready for shotgun use.

Just my opinion..

If you're looking, Remington makes an even smaller 20ga ("Compact Jr.?") with an 18" barrel, but looking at how short a LOP it has vs even such a short barrel, the balance feels "off" to me. I wouldn't recommend one of those, but the 21" youth works...and even I can shoot it well @ 6' 1" tall.
A friend purchased a youth model 20 gauge and I thought that it kicked harder then my 870. My thoughts are with it being lighter and it made the recoil harder.