View Single Post
Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
A friend purchased a youth model 20 gauge and I thought that it kicked harder then my 870. My thoughts are with it being lighter and it made the recoil harder.
That's true, we found the .410 (due to an extremely low weight) felt harder than it should, but a load of #7-1/2 bird shot from that 20ga youth felt about right. Remington 870s aren't known for being light guns, so even that 20ga does seem to gobble-up a good deal of the recoil. Again, talking light loads. I might also add~it was a budgetary consideration at the time too, or I might have looked at semis. I had so much 870 experience that I knew what to expect, and how to remedy any issues that might pop-up. Never had a single issue with it though. Even the chamber of that gun is buttery smooth, not a single hiccup.

My daughter (at 12 years old) used to love shooting my 12ga Winchester Defender. I remember her running slugs through it one day and saying to me "that wasn't so bad!" lol My youngest son is 15 now, almost 6' 2", probably 250lbs...and the only 12ga of mine he'll shoot is my Versa Max. lol If you've shot one of those...you know they're very soft-shooting. I won't tell him how his sister (1/2 the size, 3 years younger) could handle 10X the amount of recoil. Kids are all different.