View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Default Lets talk open sights.

For a few years now I've been shooting with open sights more and more, and the more I shoot them the more I realise how well they work. Today I was impressing the young fellow next to me at the range by ringing the 200 yard gong at will with an ancient .303 and the stock irons, not that I think this is a terribly notable skill, but a few years back I never thought I'd be able to do it. Since much of the lore surrounding the use of irons has pretty much been lost, I'm always happy to listen to tips from those who are willing to share, so I thought I'd ask on here. Tips, techniques, favored sights, and the rifles they come on. I want to hear it all.

What little I've learned...

I don't do well with any rear sight that isn't completely flat on the top... anything with the word "buckhorn" involved is not your friend.
At longer ranges, dial in the irons to hit high enough that you can hold under the target rather than obscuring it with the front sight.
I've found that for me its very important that I concentrate on sight alignment just the right amount... thinking about it too much or too little will end up in poor groups.