View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I try not to think too hard about what I've spent on fishing gear, just about how much fun I've had with what I have.
Likewise. It got out of hand for a while for me....and I had several duplicates because I wanted to try this model/length, that large arbor fly reel, etc. I had 3 x 5wts, 2 x 4wts, a couple of 8s...a 9 and a 10 etc. (a 2wt. and a couple of 3s) Hit the point where the amount of fishing I was doing dropped-off so fast that I sold off some gear and put it towards hunting gear, airfare to Calgary to shoot gophers...that sort of thing. lol

I actually still have too much if I use that measuring stick...but I'm down to stuff I mostly don't want to be without. Just packed-up (last night) the first good 8wt. set-up I ever got for an upcoming trip north. We'll be chasing pink salmon, steelhead, cohos...and any chinooks still around. (Great Lakes) I've since tried 8wts. I like allot more (as much as I like my SC Legend Elite) reels that are lighter...but boy, sure felt a sense of nostalgia looking at that gear. No urge to sell, but can't afford a new G-Loomis anyway...which would be my top pick today.

Are we nuts? Maybe/maybe not, but if the $ and the urge is there...why not? It sure makes me WAY less hesitant to spend decent money on a good spinning rod. lol I picked one up this past summer I'd been on the fence about. I think it was a $134 rod, then I remembered what I'd spent on fly rods back in the day.