View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 10:30 PM
jrs

"In the fall we did see lots of larger trout swimming by real close to shore but I believe they were spawing."

Rainbows can't spawn in lakes and they also spawn in spring, not fall. The mushy fish are the brooders. I had the unfortunate opportunity to cook up a gill hooked one once, not great.

Just for those that haven't been to Dixon, if you're not into crowds steer away. I was lead there by a guy on the Red Deer River this fall telling me it was a great trout spot with limited use. Well, there were more than 50 people crowded around it when i stopped by. I didn't fish, i don't mind a few people around but it looks like it can get nuts pretty often. I'm pretty sure the guy just wanted the rising brown run to himself for the entire afternoon, tricked me (i was back to the initial spot within an hour and he was still around). I'm just mentioning this so guys don't get the wrong impression, if i get skunked elsewhere i still may try it just to say i got something, but now i know what to expect.