View Single Post
Old 04-29-2011, 03:14 PM

Default Long Gone to the YUKON... this Summer (with pics)

Hi everyone, I'm planning a road trip to the Yukon this summer for a two week vacation. I've always been drawn to the North, but aside from a fly-in fishing trip to Andrew Lake a decade ago, have never made it North of 60.

Here's the deal: I will be taking off from central Alberta in mid-July, and driving the Alaska Highway through GP, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake... to Whitehorse and beyond. I'll be packing all my camping gear, several rods (both fly and spin casting), my trusty Metzeler inflatable canoe, bear spray, bug spray, backpacks, hiking boots, etc.

My hope is to get into some fishing (grayling, pike, trout... pretty much anything!) and hiking adventures along the way. Since I've never been up North, I was hoping that you fellas could give me some ideas on places to go that could be within my reach. I will be up there for a couple of weeks, and really am up for anything as long as it's reasonably accessible by car, foot, or canoe. I'm pumped to check out this unique part of Canada, and will probably be heading North of Whitehorse to the Dempster Hwy as well.

Here are a few pics of some fishing adventures in the past year to set the tone. Feel free to post stories/suggestions/pics of anything to do with Yukon or the Alaska Hwy!

Getting a fly wet in Headwall Lakes

Spearfishing Adventures

Wabamun = BIG Pike

Walleye on the Fly

Thanks for looking, and feel free to add any pics/stories that you have!

Tight lines,
Dave99