View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Leafy,

Where and how are these Millions of dollars being spent and by who?

I'll suggest that CFB Suffield required a few seasons of hunting to get a better feel for how to manage it. I suspect that their confidence in having hunting on the base is growing and becoming accepted. Along with political pressure the doors are now open to make a true management plan work.

Remember that half of those 2015 calves will be bulls. If cow harvest is greater than the recruitment of cow calves, the future recruitment rate will drop.

Is 1000 cows a large enough harvest to start a decline in population growth? What is the recent population survey sex ratios?

From the available info.
Population 7000
Recruitment 22% - 1540
cow recruitment - 770

Killing 770 cows a year plus natural mortality ( 100% from old age lol..) should be enough to stabilize or slightly reduce the population growth. And let's not forget to include mortality from those wealthy Indians.

Not including a possible addition of another quota hunt in 2015/16, the proposed 1200 cow licences and 600 bull licences for next year shows me that there are enough licences being issued to start reducing the herd size as long as success rates remain strong.

Has anyone heard what the new population goal is?
WB,

The numbers you posted are skewed to appear lesser than what is known to be factual. Even the 22% recruitment is at the bottom end of the range between 22 - 28 %.

Costs, well even 1000 heads will be hundreds of thousands. This is factual, and I think they are shipped to Saskatoon as this is the only lab I am aware of.. Factor in ALL the costs on these heads, they don't hitch hike there themselves

Did we hire more bodies to pick up the slack of the CO's and Bio's who now pretty much have half their year at CFB ?

The go forwards proposal of issuing more licences will just add to the costs, create more unrest with adjacent land owners and require more bodies to succeed.

I actually disagree with your hunter confidence statement, the reports from this area and the activities our group have been caught do, well I sure don't want to be labelled in this group.

We may see a death come out of this mess, I hope we don't but the chance of it is very real. Can't imagine if some of these people had a 400 plus bull going on, the need to succeed would be something else

I may come across as being jerk, but I am a realist, not an opportunist. Those who think leafy needs to have a snickers, well this is the way I am programmed !!! LOL