View Single Post
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 PM

P.O. Ackley had some interesting reports about which bullet did what on what tissue. IIRC, he was a big proponent of high velocity controlled expansion bullets. He played a critical role in bullet experimentation for the U.S. military. For whatever reason no one has been able to accurately analyze, velocity plays a critical role in disrupting tissue.

Certainly a case can be made for 'very controlled expansion' bullets such as the Barnes TTSX, however, likewise can be argued for the more 'frangible' bullets such as the Berger VLD's.

Obviously, a bullet must enter the 'vital organs' of an animal to produce damage. Therefore, if a given bullet fails to penetrate sufficiently to distrupt and destroy vital tissue, that bullet will not produce the desired effects. On the other hand, should a given bullet achieve desired penetration yet produce limited destruction of vital tissue, again something is lost in regards to bullet performance.

There is no doubt that some bullets are less affected in their path than other bullets if heavy resistance is encountered, they continue to penetrate into vital tissue. The penalty of such ability to retain mass is that of reduced tissue damage. On the other hand, a bullet that 'grenades' once entering vital tissue will, without question, inflict greater damage. The downside is, when, or if, this bullet will reach and then destroy tissue as intended.

Personally, I've taken few shots when the angle dictated the need to penetrate shoulder bone to reach the vitals or many quartering away shots where maximum penetration was required. Still, I have taken this shot and with mostly the NBT, then more recently with the VLD. Each and every one was fatal, maybe not instantaneously, but no animal was lost. Would a bullet with a greater ability to penetrate have performed better, it's difficult to judge.

Quite obviously, a trade off betwen penetration and expansion of the bullet exists. For those who require a bullet which offers superior penetration due to added resistance such as bone or length of tissue, then the Barnes TTSX bullet meets their needs. It will definitely kill the animal if the shot is appropriately placed.

In contrast, should the shooter place the bullet so as to avoid undue resistance to bullet path, then there is little doubt that the more violently expanding bullet will disrupt and destroy more tissue thus causing a quicker death of the animal.

Since the shooter can encounter differing bullet placement opportunities and angles, each bullet offers a given set of advantages and disadvantages.

I can't comment much on the use of the Barnes TTSX or similar bullets, but I can share my experience with the NBT on some 50 animals plus my limited experience with the Berger VLD on deer, moose and some african plains game.

I recognize the loyal following the Barnes bullets enjoy, and for good reason, I also recognize the success of those who kill game with other bullets such as the Berger VLD. It's best if we all share our true experiences, the benefit seems obviuos.

Bobby B.