Thread: Kinbasket Lake
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 12:09 AM

Pulling your boat each night is a good idea. The lake is around 70%ish full by the looks of things and i didnt see too many deadheads but the will be coming and soon. To have a boat that will do 60km/h must be awesome! I would highly recommend you dont go much faster than half that. Many of the larger trees are almost fully waterlogged and float just below the surface. There is an extremely shallow rock point that goes from 50ft to 1ft in a couple boat lengths at the mouth of bulldog ck so stay to the right when you leave the marina. Never fished below 30ft deep with the gear i have but ive drooled over many a 1000+ kokanee school sitting down at 125+ft. If your trolling deep be prepared to lose lots of tackle unless you plot out a route first. Random rock formations that belong on a mountain side and not in a lake exist all over. The lake bottom holds no structure at all and the fish seem to feed in numbers around large mats of floating bark and deadheads. Large bulls are scattered throughout but i find i catch more of them close to shore. Rainbows in excess of 5lbs are rare. Kokanee are very plentiful in later summer when they start to form up for spawning but few ever go over a pound. Be advised the fishing regulations change at fosters arm area. The weather this year has been fairly poor so make sure you have some overnight gear in case you have to crash camp in one of the 3 major bays and wait out bad weather. Early morning is the magic hour, evenings are hit or miss. Be smart have roe!
Drop me a pm a couple days before departure and ill see if i cant get my boat out for a couple days. I camped in a sheltered small bay in aug last summer. Woke up to a freak storm crushing my tent. Only things i had in the tent was my pjs, shotgun and my bedding. Pointed my flashlight down the bank into the water and it looked like a washing machine. All my gear, gas and dry goods were deepsix. The only parts sticking out of the water on my 16ft landing craft was the top few inches of the steering wheel and the bimimi top. Then the giant rollers came in as i got a ringside view of my baby full of water getting lifted 6-8ft in the air then crashing down on rock. Pounded in the wheel covers so badly and i had to beat them off with hammer and chisel to free the landing gear. Play safe out there. Kinbasket is a beauty but she has the worst temper of any lake going.