View Single Post
Old 07-20-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Great thread and interesting project. How much does each wheel weigh? I think you will struggle to stay under 2500 lbs.
134lb per tire, 60lb per wheel, wheel lock rings (x2) are 15lbs per wheel and hardware is 1lb. For a grand total of 210 per corner all done.

So yes, 2,500lbs dry weight will be tough when you think I’m at 840lbs just in tires/wheels. One of the engineers that I work with calculated all 4 tires would float 6,500lbs fully submerged at 9psi. He tried to explain how he got to that answer but my head started to hurt and then I nodded off...

So floating won’t be a problem but the lighter I can keep it the better it will go in the slop.

Today it was a little axle prep. I stripped down the front Dana 60 a few weeks back. Today I cut the drivers side knuckle off and then shortened the long side by 14 inches. That should give me an overall width of 96” from outside of one tire to the outside of the other. If I had kept the front axle full width at 69 1/4 inches it would have made for a really wide buggy and it would have required a permit to tow it down the highway.

Next I prepped the tube for when the inner knuckle gets put back on. As for the knuckle, I ground the tube weld off then pressed out the old section of tube. A little buff in the bore and it’s ready to go back on. Sounds easy when you say it fast but in all it was a good day’s work in the garage...

share image