Thread: Hornady SST
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 AM

SSTs.....they are what they are,a fast expanding cup n core that’s devastating on WT and other thin skinned game.
No worries about lack of expansion,they’re gonna do the job they are designed for and inflict maximum shock and damage putting animals down fast.
Guys here that are complaining about meat damage are nitpicking imho....how much meat is on a WT’s shoulder anyway....who cares.....and if you shoot through ribs as you should you can measure the meat loss in ounces.
Then there’s the crowd that complains they’re too explosive up close or they wouldn’t want to hit a moose/elk shoulder with SST etc etc...
Well first of all,they are not designed for up close impacts at magnum velocities,but are outstanding in standard velocity cartridges at all practical ranges and magnums at extended range.
Next,they would not be my first choice for moose/elk to begin with although no doubt would do a great job on a broadside rib shot,but in my experience I want a tougher bone splitting bullet that can hold together and reach the vitals from “ less then ideal” angle shots on moose/elk.