View Single Post
Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Must have been birds(just kidding). It seems many still believe that is how fish get overland(Its not). I believe it was mentioned again in this thread. Another example of missinformation.

Thanks for the example Pudelpointer.
There are still people that buy into the old wives tale that fish are transported by birds.

The only thing you can say to them is that if it really was true...than all water would have all fish species. It was mentioned before on another thread that perch are transported as eggs on the feathers of ducks...yet perch are not everywhere...even after millions and millions of years and millions and millions of ducks and other birds flying all over Alberta.

I discussed with one chap about the logic. He said ducks get eggs stuck in their feathers. Imagine a bird carefully holding some eggs under their wing, in their beak and then taking off gently from a pond...flying carefully not to lose the eggs but fast enough they don't dry out or sophocate then dropping them gently on the lake and in enough numbers to escape predation. Please buy a lottery ticket instead...way better odds.

A study I worked on in the Athabasca drainage showed that only lakes with tributaries to the Athabasca had perch in them. All other lakes had none yet many were side by side.

Simple study proved this theory of bird transportation is baseless.