View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'fool View Post
This is the reason why you study your quarry. Wait and you will find one of two things, the animal won't stop walking or it will stop and remain at high alert for long enough to perform a good shot. Wait for the right timing , if it doesnt come, big deal...wait for the next one.
Taking a shot at 1100 yds in a walking animal is just plain stupid... No offence...
No offense taken. BTW my attempt was no where near 1,000 yards but I learned that lesson nonetheless.

When it happened to me I immediately realized that I could not predict what the animal might do with enough accuracy for me to take the risk.

Animals can act in unexpected ways. Yes careful observation would reduce the risk and waiting for the right moment would as well, but for me the risk is still too high.

I would always wonder if there might be some unseen thing that could spook my target just as the bullet left the barrel. Too late to stop and too great a chance of wounding and animal for me.

George Bernard Shaw