View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
East Annex along the fire guard, find where their crossing, see if it's fresh. Hunt there. Also see them just inside the west portion along highway 41. Again, have to find their trails.

One of the best things is networking the other hunters. Give out your cell # and offer to give intel on what the other parties are chasing and where you seen them.

The elk come and go but we have seen them in there. Good Luck.
This is great info. Also talk to the wildlife biologists and the CO's at the morning orientation. There are also maps with all recorded kill locations from that years hunts and years past. The biologists along with the maps will tell the story of where the elk typically are.

Success rates for elk on the base can be low. Just kind of depends whether they're on the base or on the surrounding private land.

Personally I wouldn't take a 4 year old on this hunt. I've never felt unsafe during the 4 or 5 times I've been to Wainwright. The hunters are way more spread out than at suffield because the game isn't concentrated in just a few herds like at suffield because most hunters are there for the deer. The reason I wouldn't bring a 4 year old is the hunt is in December so weather can be rough. Also the kid would need to attend morning orientation every day which means very early rise times for the little one and by the time you go to orientation/check in and then actually drive out to start hunting you've spent a few hours already and it would wear on a toddler before you even actually get to start hunting. Those that are typically successful put in quite a few miles on the boots which might be to much for a youngster. You could bring your kid and all the power to you if you do, but personally I wouldn't at that age.

PM a member on AO that goes by shedcrazy for more info about where to target the elk. I believe he is a biologist on the hunts and can probably give you better advise than many.