View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
Guys, what am I missing?

I can buy a Havalon for 40 - 50 bucks. It’s always deadly sharp.
I watched some guys in Africa cape out a lion for a full mount with butter knives they sharpened on bricks.

I can’t understand why anyone would pay $100, $200, $500, $1000 for a skinning knife. But I also don’t understand why someone would install a stereo in a vehicle that already had one from factory. Everyone has there thing.

Does a higher end knife work better than a Havalon?
I understand some people appreciate good tools and see value in that. Is that it?
What am I missing?
Havelon blades are made with low cost metals you can afford to through them away.
Yes they start out sharp but I could make a sardine can lid shaving sharp too but I can't make it hold an edge for very long,
I can skin and cape a moose with 3, $5.00 Henckel paring knives but I can also skin and cape a moose with one descent, reasonably priced blade.
I've tried replaceable blade knives and they suck compared to a reasonably priced solid fixed blade.

I can have a good quality knife skin and cape more than one moose with a little touch of a steel.

If all you do is gut and skin the odd deer a havalon will work.
Hell, a $2 dollar box cutter will work.
If you skin and flesh multiple animals on a regular basis, you will learn what is the most efficient and most economical.
Sharpening is not rocket science whether it is a knife, chain saw and ice auger.