View Single Post
Old 01-03-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Using a knife in a controlled environment at fixed heights is a different environment than on the side of a hill in the back country in -25 and snow flurries.
They use those knives because in that environment they are the most efficient/cost effective knives to get the job done. A sous chef uses a 6" chef's knife every day of the week....doesnt mean that's the best knife for a hunter. Different strokes for different folks. Often the knife one chooses is simply because it gives you the fiz. Meaning it just looks right and feels right and gives you a pride of ownership even if its maybe not the most efficient or best design ect... much like coil I choose designs based on pure functionality and ease of use( if they look great, that's just cherry) I want a blade that cuts with no effort doesnt force me to hold awkward angles in order to keep the blade cutting. Makes use of the entire blade through its slice, and fits my hand well and doesnt cause strain. I want a blade that will get sharp and stay sharp.

As for the op knife choice us very personal one that works for me might ( small hands) be terrible for your big mit ( if you have big hands). Imo it's very hard to find a factory blade that meets these parameters. The closest I have found so far for me are a sog sv30 huntspoint skinner and boning knives...they hold a crazy edge, they just don't give perfection in some of the efficiency columns..
Personally for deer I often find myself just using a vitorinox hunter xt. With main blade saw and zip blade...but I don't skin with it just field dress.

If I had $$for a new blade I would look at croils knife and reverse engineer to what would be perfect for me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
There may be the odd ram or two caped in some pretty remote areas. I may have misworded and made it sound like I was only talking taxidermists.