View Single Post
Old 01-04-2022, 09:12 AM

So Coiloil37

After deciding to give one of these super knives a try I have been doing a fair amount of research and trying to learn. I have a question. You claim the D2 knives you have from Crotts and Dozier have far superior edge holding capability. I have studied the chart you provided, read a bunch of stuff on Phil Wilson's site as well as other links you and they provided. I fail to understand how D2 steel accomplishes this when all the test results say S30V hold its edge longer at the same hardness. See the chart you provided below which show D2 at 500, S30V at 600 and S90V at nearly 800. What is it about the D2 steel treatment Crotts uses that makes his steel so much better than regular D2. I don't understand how his D2 steel knives would have superior edge holding to a quality s30V knife from a quality maker like Buck knives. Also, if D2 is so great why did you choose to make your last knife out of S90V, which has even higher edge retention scores than S30V. I know there is a good reason, I just don't understand it. Thanks for your help.