View Single Post
Old 01-18-2022, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Somebody must have gotten a new knife. Show it off please.
Here's a few that I made for family and friends. Someday I'll make one for myself and try to keep it...!

I mostly use CPM 154, S30V or S35VN bar stock and do my own heat treating. Sent 6 treated blanks away for Rc testing to prove / check my process. They all came back in the Rc60 range +/- .5 point. I don't cryogenically treat but do stick the blanks in the freezer which is giving me another .3 to .6 Rc points and a bit more toughness. After heat treating I do a brass rod test and chop a 2x4 with each knife to prove each blade before I put a handle on it.

1. for my sons girlfriend - S30V, 8" OAL, 3 3/4" blade, spalted maple scales, copper bolster & pins (her request). She's used it on grouse, ducks & geese.

2. for one of my best friends - CPM 154, 8 1/4", 3 3/4" blade, California Buckeye burl scales, stainless bolster & pins. He's never used it on an animal.

3. for my son - S30V, 7 1/4" oal, 3 3/8" blade, Amboyna Burl scales, stainless bolster with nickel silver pins. This one has seen a lot of use on multiple deer & and a moose, plus used as a camp knife. Sent it out for heat treating before I started and it came back at Rc 61.5. Took quite a while to put an edge on, but the edge lasts a long time and he doesn't wait till it's dull to touch up the edge.

4. for a friend and former co-worker - S35VN, 9 1/4" oal, 4 1/4" blade, African Blackwood scales w/ red liners, stainless bolster & pins. He has used it on multiple animals and also uses it as a camp knife.

5. this one I donated to a fundraising raffle - CPM 154, 9 1/2" oal, 4 1/4" blade, hidden tang construction, AAA Franquette Walnut handle, stainless steel guard & pins