View Single Post
Old 08-06-2022, 03:53 PM

The trip up was uneventful and we made great time. As the sun popped up it was gloomy

That quickly turned into a pea soup. I took a new “shortcut” which included a single lane bridge across a river approx 400m long. In the fog towing a boat and it being able to see if anyone else was coming toward me really added the element of surprise. I didn’t get a picture until I could see the other side but this is the whole width of the bridge, must be the sketchiest bridge I’ve ever seen.

The fog burnt off as we were heading up the last little dead end road to 1770

The boat got splashed by 09:30 and even after four months of neglect she remembered how to float.

Out through the river we went happy as Larry.

The bar was flat for a change

With the bar behind us we were off for some winter fun.

I wish I could report on all the fish we caught but it wasn’t to be. For some reason they had lock jaw and we struggled to buy a bite. When we hooked up it usually busted us off on the bottom or got sharked on the way up. We also had so many small trash fish (primarily hussar) that would strip the bait or get hooked that we were constantly rebaiting or resetting baits. It was busy but not the right kind of busy. Maybe it’s my fault because I said we were going to kill some fish but it was prob the barometer, the moon phase or maybe the fact it was to calm. I don’t know and it doesn’t really matter. While we didn’t load up on fish we weren’t short of good memories.

All the negativity out of the way. That weather!!! The swell and wind chop finally took a break and we spent a couple of beautiful days on the water.

We hit the reefs on the way out trying to find a bite. Eventually Nolan caught us a trout for lunch

Which I quickly put on the Weber for a snack

He followed that up with a nice red throated emperor

I wanted to release the red throat but after it fell on the floor and because we weren’t catching much I thought we better keep it for dinner. As it was I got a little trout we ate for dinner along with some snags.

Pierce at this point was violently I’ll. I swear he could get sick in a bathtub. I’ll have to get him something for this cause he likes to fish but hates being sick. Prob try some scopoderm patches first.

Anyway, Nolan picked up a tusky which is one of my favourite fish to eat so he too went into the kill tank.

To be continued…