View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 11:13 AM

Default jnn6hg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
This is a temporary thing with regards to a lot of hunters in spots. Most of the hunters I know are older baby boomers who only have like 10 years of serious backcountry hunting left. If we want hunting to continue we need to get younger people into it IMO.
Oddly enough the biggest hurdle for me is finding someone willing to mentor me on hunting - it seems like a very difficult sport to get into as an adult if you weren't raised in a family of hunters or have close friends who hunt. After the hunter education courses, licensing, PAL etc. it's hard to know where to get started actually learning how to hunt.

You see something similar in rock climbing, which I've been doing for over a decade now - many older folks bemoaning how newer climbers are coming out to the rock without skills and knowledge, but when you ask how many newer climbers they've mentored personally, they don't have an answer. These days the majority of my time outdoors on rock involves guiding/teaching less experienced climbers to help them stay safe, which also reduces the risk of areas being restricted or closed to climbing due to accidents.