View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdowncowtown View Post
Oddly enough the biggest hurdle for me is finding someone willing to mentor me on hunting - it seems like a very difficult sport to get into as an adult if you weren't raised in a family of hunters or have close friends who hunt. After the hunter education courses, licensing, PAL etc. it's hard to know where to get started actually learning how to hunt.

You see something similar in rock climbing, which I've been doing for over a decade now - many older folks bemoaning how newer climbers are coming out to the rock without skills and knowledge, but when you ask how many newer climbers they've mentored personally, they don't have an answer. These days the majority of my time outdoors on rock involves guiding/teaching less experienced climbers to help them stay safe, which also reduces the risk of areas being restricted or closed to climbing due to accidents.
Keep socializing around here and your local range so you get to know other hunters. Strive to learn what you can on the style of hunting that interests you by asking questions

A lot of guys are reluctant to mentor someone until they get to know the person because they have had their fair share of bad hunting partners. A lot of experienced hunters invest a lot of time and effort into their hunting and a bad partner can ruin all your efforts