View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Keep socializing around here and your local range so you get to know other hunters. Strive to learn what you can on the style of hunting that interests you by asking questions

A lot of guys are reluctant to mentor someone until they get to know the person because they have had their fair share of bad hunting partners. A lot of experienced hunters invest a lot of time and effort into their hunting and a bad partner can ruin all your efforts
True enough, it would be a pretty big loss to spend a lot of time and effort creating an opportunity only to have it wrecked by a bad partner. Climbing is a little more forgiving in that sense, easy to see how people handle themselves in a lower-stakes scenario before doing anything committing.

Really for the first season or two what I want to focus on learning is the pre and post work, scouting, tracking, getting land access, camera placement, field dressing, butchering etc. Just going out and shooting an animal doesn't hold much appeal to me if I don't have the skills and knowledge to reproduce the result independently.