View Single Post
Old 01-10-2023, 05:03 PM

Excuse me for maybe drifting off topic....

My first year hunting big game in Alberta (1980) I asked one of the guys, "How do you hunt moose?" His answer, "You drive around the roads until one walks out..."

So I did that, and yes, I shot a bull moose. I was thrilled to get a moose, but the 'hunt' was completely unsatisfactory to me. And I resolved to get out of the vehicle and put boots to the ground.

Took a few years to figure it out, but so worthwhile.

There's just nothing like firsthand, in the bush experience: observation, questioning what am I seeing, really learning what sign means, where/when to locate deer-moose-bear etc...

And being a solo hunter, most all the learning was on me.

Yes, there was a few guys I shared camps with when moose hunting. And we sure had some goods times. And the logistics of moving large moose (as we were very successful) meant having several people to assist was kind of necessary. Those damn moose are big!

Anyway the single best advice is still boots to the ground.

And the best 'shortcut advice' for me today, whenever I begin to prospect new country first place I go is FATMAP.

FATMAP is Google Earth on steroids, due to the 3D feature that really lets you see elevation, topography etc...
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker