View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 11:29 PM

^ I am wondering, coyote prices aside, this is the same argument people make every year (since I was a reader and then a member of this forum), some years less, others more. Pretty much every year that I lived in northern Alberta (only about 10, so not long by any means), the pattern is identical every year: few weeks of cold, as in below 30 degrees celsius, followed by some mild weather, say in the minus tens, followed by a warm up, melt, rain and freezing rain, back to minus tens and twenties, and so on. In this decade, maybe one or two years were different and the difference was the amount of snow: ten years ago the winter was pretty harsh snow wise with snow above waste in in the woods in some areas; a couple or so years ago (not entirely sure when) there was plenty of snow as well and I believe, but not certain, I posted a few pics of deer walking through the fields dug in the snow up to their bellies. I really haven’t seen the deer population being impacted significantly one way or the other in any of the areas I hunt.

I am aware of the concept of crust of ice and whatnot. It seems, however, this isn’t an extraordinary event, at least in these parts of the province, so there has to be more to it than just that.

I know it is off topic. Sorry, laker. But I see this coming up every year, yet I observe the same conditions every year and see no effect that people talk about every year.