Thread: Rod vs. Reel
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'd rather have a $50 reel on a $10 dollar rod than the other way around if thats what your asking. If I remember corectly you already have a Shimano Sojourn dont you Geezle? Just spend $50 or so on a higher end shimano or phlueger reel and thats all the rig you will ever need and then some IMO, I've been fishing pretty avidly since I was 8 years old and I have maby owned 2 or 3 rigs that were worth much over $60. If your talking about ice fishing wrap some line around a stick and be done with it.
Yep, I do have a 6'6" Shimano Sojourn...you have a good memory I also now have a 7' medium/heavy Rhino rod, and a 6'6" light action Ugly Stick. I got the Shimano rod as part of a combo with a Shimano Sidestab 2500 which I really enjoy. The Rhino has a Shimano Solstace 3000 which isn't bad but I like the Sidestab a little more. The Ugly Stick just has an inexpensive (on sale for $20) Quantum reel that seems to do the trick pretty well also.

As for ice fishing, I'm using the Quantum reel and the Sidestab, as well as a little Daiwa ice reel, but you're absolutely right, for ice fishing you don't even really need that...just a chunk of wood and some line

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams