View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
At least once per year, but it will depend on the type of stove you have, the type of wood burned and how the stove is operated.
X3, The best thing you can do is burn well seasoned (dry) wood and run your unit at a higher temperature.

In other words, don't choke it down so much that it just smokes along in an effort to extend your wood supply and burn times.

Burning poplar is fine, as long as it's not green. Poplar seems to contain a lot of moisture and needs to be split and well seasoned before burning.

I run a wood stove, burn almost two cords/year and am down to cleaning every two years as I do it myself. I get about enough ash/deposits to fill a 500ml yogurt container, no more.

Now that being said, since you use a fireplace and not a stove, you may need to clean more often even if you're doing everything right. I believe a fireplace lacks the equipment that a wood stove has that contributes to very efficient burns. By equipment I mean either a catalytic or secondary burners to aid in more complete combustion.