View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
We burn mostly Pine, Spruce, and some Poplar in our wood stove. I clean it about three times a year. In the cold dead of winter, its burning most nights.

I bought a SS brush and those fiberglass rods and it makes quick work of the job. I would say I brush down 2-3 liters of dry brown crispy material each time.

I had a friend lose his house due to a chimney fire once.
That being said, is your stove of modern design and does it meet current specifications and codes?

I know in Calgary you can't get a permit to install stoves that don't meet current certifications. It's illegal to install a chimney dampener on those units and modern stoves don't allow you to close down combustion air beyond a certain point, in order to ensure efficient burns.

Also, how do you run your stove with respect to burn temperatures and burning properly seasoned wood?

Many factors can effect chimney build up. Proper design, operation and fuel, as well as periodic cleanings to evaluate build up, go a long way to greatly reducing the risk of chimney fires,

Cleaning as often as you are and getting as much product removed as you do, something seems amiss.