View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_xi@hotmail.com View Post
I think I am out, they pull me back in.

First off I am sick and tired of all the non-native people on this board playing the victim. Our hunting rights are pretty much the only advantage we have over non-natives.

Bill Maher said it best that racism is still alive and well. But most white people only recognize reverse racisim. They don't lynch people any more but those feelings are still there brewing deeply. Trying to strip our hunting rights are just another more relevent tactic. Sure in a perfect world everyone would be equal. But this isn't Eutopia.

The feeling you get when you see a native person deep in your gut is hate. As long as it's there we can never be equal. Alberta is to Canada as the "deep south" is to the united states. There are far deeper issues masking themselves in the posts that so frequently occur. Just because you say you are not racist
does not make it so. It's not all the non-native's fault. Hate flows both ways. Hate breeds ignorance and pettyness. That's why these threads tend to follow the same patterns.

I am aboriginal. I practice subsistance hunting. I feed my family. I will not apologize for it. And I will do whatever it takes to keep this right.
thats the only advantage hey... how about subsidized housing, health care, education, prefferential treatment in job hiring, major tax breaks. There are a heck of lot of HUGE advantages there. One huge pet peeve I have is excuses. I grew up in a family that did not have much money. I did not use that as an excuse and went out and made myself what I am today. I could have taken the easy route but in the long run my hard work is paying off with a great career and family in the making. Don't tell me that I have a hate on for natives. That is simply not the case. The native culture is really quite awesome. There traditions are something we can all learn from and I really hope they continue. That is no reason to abuse the system though. The fact is, the majority of natives are great people. However, some reserves have major problems that they themselves need to fix. It is up to them and not the government to step up, grab the bull by the horns, and make there reserve into what it can become. I have absolutely no problems with someone shooting a few deer or a moose to help feed his family, but there should be monitoring and some control of it. Whether the SRD gives each reserve an allotment of tags to hand out to their band members as they see fit, or we do it ourselves it makes no difference to me. If a member is very poor that band can give him 2 moose tags to help him out, but if the next member is either very well off or very lazy then they should only get one or none at all. Just like a spoiled kid will grow up without any sense of responsibility, a native that has everything handed to him will turn out the same way. Unfortunately it is human nature and will happen to anyone (white, black, asian, or native). Laziness does not discriminate based on skin colour.