View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
That may be the case with some barrels, but not all. I have more that one custom barrel that won't shoot it's best until at least four or five shots have been through it. That includes both lapped an un-lapped barrels with either cut or button rifling.
Finding two barrels that react exactly the same to fouling is pretty rare from what I have seen. For the most part, I leave my barrels alone until accuracy begins to fall off. Sometimes it takes 40-60 rounds or better before that condition shows up.
What discipline do you compete in ?
If we have a barrel that won’t shoot until 4-5 rounds go through , it will never stay on the gun for a competition .we would keep it as a practice barrel and only if it was able to shoot low .2’s in practice , if not it’s scrap, shooting until the accuracy falls off in competition is a good way to wind up on page two. The idea is to stay in front of stray shots, different disciplines have different requirements , some have no time to clean but also don’t demand the same accuracy as srb
Different lots of steel do respond differently , that is part of the reason it takes some barrels 10-15 rounds to break and others 150 rounds , usually try to buy barrels with consecutive numbers or from the same lots , even that is no guarantee that they are from the same lot of steel , usually you can tell when you machine them , they will cut the same